…to Keep Compatible Ink Cartridges
Functioning in Your Printer
More printer manufacturers are using firmware updates to block the use of compatible ink cartridges. This is great if you want to push people to buy OEM inks. This is not so great if you don’t want to pay high OEM prices.
So, is there a solution to the frustration of having compatibles work perfectly one day and then fail to work the next day? Why yes!
What you can do is turn off automatic firmware updates. Read on.
As more and more firmware updates are designed to block the use of compatible ink cartridges, it is important to turn off any automatic updates. Some of the newer printers are being distributed with the AUTOMATIC FIRMWARE UPDATE set to ON. This means, if you do not change the setting, the printer will update its firmware without your knowledge, potentially making the compatible ink cartridges you are using stop working properly.
To avoid automatic firmware updates, in particular in HP’s most recent Office Jet Pro printers, follow the steps below:
Step 1: From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, touch (setup)
Steps 2 and 3: Touch Printer Maintenance.
Step 4: Touch Update the Printer.
Step 5: Touch Printer Update Options.
Step 6: Select Do Not Check.
Step 7: It will notify you that HP recommends you allow the printer to check for updates, and it will ask if you want to turn on printer updates. Select No.
Here is another method you can use to stop automatic firmware updates:
1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard.
2. Touch (HP ePrint)
3. Touch OK
4. Select Do Not Check
5. It will notify you that HP recommends you allow the printer to check for updates, and it will ask you if you want to turn on printer updates. Select No.
To update the printer using the embedded web server (EWS):
- Open the EWS. For more information see embedded web server.
- Click the Tools tab.
- In the Printer Updates section, click Firmware Updates.
- Under Printer Update Options select Do Not Check for Updates and then select Apply.
- A pop-up window will appear to notify you that HP recommends you allow the printer to check for updates, and it will ask if you want to turn on printer updates. Select No.