If your HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M280 or M281 printer has stopped printing and a “Supply Problem” message has appeared on the display, HP automatically upgraded your printer firmware. This upgrade includes code that stops the printer from recognizing present compatible toner cartridges. Follow the instructions below to downgrade your firmware and bring your printer back to normal operation.
To downgrade your firmware, make sure to complete the following steps:
- Touch the HOME button on the printer display screen.
- Scroll to the right and touch SETUP
- Scroll down and touch the SERVICE button.
- Scroll down and touch LASERJET UPDATE.
- Touch the MANAGE UPDATES button.
- The MANAGE UPDATES menu will appear.
- In the MANAGE UPDATES menu, touch the ALLOW DOWNGRADE button and then select YES.
Now, go to your computer and do the following:
- Make sure your printer is connected to your computer before starting.
- Go to the link https://cutt.ly/4gG4J1h This will take you to HP Customer Support Website where a previous version of your firmware is located (ver. 20200612)
- Double-click on the HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.exe option.
- Click DOWNLOAD
- After the firmware is downloaded and saved on your computer, open the file and select printer to update from the download menu.
- Once your printer is selected, click the SEND FIRMWARE button.
- After the update is completed, click the EXIT button. The printer will automatically restart after a firmware update. If it does not restart, turn the printer off and then back on.
Now, go back to your printer display window:
- Return to the MANAGE UPDATES menu (see directions above on how to get there.)
- Touch the CHECK AUTOMATICALLY button and select OFF.
- Touch ALLOW UPDATES and select NO.
All done! Your printer should accept the compatible toner cartridges now. Your printer should not receive any further automatic updates from HP to prevent compatible cartridges from working.
No Comments Yet